Why not running your own Skype-like service? Even better, why not do it using open source and free applications and spend 8.5 billions for something else?
The target is to build your own communication service that offers:
- peer-to-peer and secure communication (encryption of the content sent between users)
- voice calls between two users
- video calls between two users
- group voice calls (audio conferencing)
- screen sharing
- chatting - instant messaging between users
- contacts list and presence status notifications
- Kamailio SIP Server - for user authentication server and 'super-node' functionality of relaying the voice/video packets when necessary
- Jitsi - the client application, a cross platform implementation running on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows
The step-by-step tutorial is available at:
Enjoy! Communicate secure and freely!