The users of voipuser.org and iptel.org VoIP services may have noticed that they run on Kamailio 3.0.0 and branch SR 3.0.0 for quite some time. Although they are free VoIP services, they host thousands of active subscribers, the first one serving over 50 SIP messages per second.
As you could imagine, they run to core of proxy modules, like authentication, user location, accounting, nat traversal, presence and dialog, group-based authorization. With all of these everything rocks in 3.0.0. As a matter of fact, during these two weeks just few bugs were reported, in the usual spectrum after any major released, none of them affecting the core modules (so far misbehaving modules were sip_trace and uac).
Discussions about 3.0.0 lead the public lists and new development is already in place waiting 3.1.0. I am going to blog separately about what is new added after 3.0.0 in these two weeks, but now shortly:
- app_lua - run embedded Lua scripts from config
- mtree - config caching system that index the values on a tree structure (there is another option, older, htable to index in shared memory hash tables), ideal for fast DID routing
- uac - module can do and manage registrations to another server
- pipelimit - module to set limits (e.g., calls per second) based on customizable rules (e.g., trunks, destination address, source address, user).
- geoip - get the location based on IP address (e.g., source or destination of a call)